Friday, August 17, 2007

Sunshine girl

Here's another soul looking for some salvation from corporate mornings. But I wonder why an epithet like "Sunshine Girl" doesn't seem ominously portentous to him. Unlike him, I use the company bus to travel to office. Though glad to not have to negotiate Hosur road in my own car (something that brings dangerous things like inevitability of death and meaninglessness of life to my mind), this little luxury has cost me dear. I have been invountarily subjected to the Sunshine Girl treatment for some time now. There's no escape as the radio onboard the bus, but for Radio City, tunes into only extraterestrial noise.

Now my problem with the sunshine girl is that she bears the burden of having to live up to the title by sounding really really happy and cheerful at all times. I can bet my pants there isn't a person in the world who feels that cheerful everyday. And Vasanthi must be no exception. Hence, the forced happiness and choir girl cheeriness facade she puts up really rankles me. Then there are grim mornings (we're talking really early mornings here) when you'd give anything to savour some silence but a character like that yapping pointlessly on air is a source of great misery. Especially when there isn't really anything smart or funny that she ever has to say apart from a lot of "Great"s, "Wow"s, "GGoodd Morrrning"s and other crappy smalltalk. If it weren't for the usual Nazia Hasan kind of retro numbers the show would be absolutely trash. Vasanthi's voice does have a beautiful timbre, but I would trust her little for anything more than talking back to me on my telebanking number. I demand more from an RJ than voice harmonics.

I haven't heard an RJ that really interested me in quite a while. The last really good one I can recall was Shamsheer Rai Luthra from my days in dilli when FM radio had only just arrived. Easy going, witty and fun. Very alike to a relaxed chat with buddies on vacation mornings. And a playlist where you could as much expect a Nusrat classic as a Mika or a Metallica number - deftly interwoven with the agendas of the meandering talk.

Oh, and by the way the Sunshine Girl's show also features a zillionth spin-off of Lola Kutty - Lingo Lila. Suffer her and you'd wonder what the whole fuss about chemotherapy is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep. On the other hand, Cindu doesn't have such a great voice and half the time the playlist isn't great either, but when she does do an interview she steers it amazingly well.

Malavika has the voice, the enthu, and vocabulary. Now, if only she didn't have the Justin Timberlake obsession...

Vin said...

Ha, the speakers in the bus have been mercilessly ripped out! I'm not making this up. Really - where the speakers were are now empty holes with wires and stuff hanging out. I guess Lingo Lila took her toll.

Now the travel to office is to the sounds of relentless honking. Ironic.